Right now specific models of iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad running iOS 4.2.1 can be Jailbroken using the “tethered” method using redsn0w. If you are already stuck on iOS 4.2.1 without having saved SHSH Blobs in Cydia and still want untethered jailbreak, then don’t you worry. iPhonix has discovered a method that will downgrade iOS 4.2.1 to iOS 4.1without having SHSH blobs stored. Just follow the simple steps listed below:
- iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad
- iOS 4.1 or 3.2.2 (for iPad) saved on your computer
- The latest version of TinyUmbrella
- iTunes 10.1.x
- Mac OS X or Windows
Steps 1: Download and install the latest version of TinyUmbrella.
Steps 2: Save the ECID iOS 4.2.1
Steps 3: Close TinyUmbrella.
Steps 4: Now you must go into recovery mode. To do so, unplug the cable from your computer (but keeping it attached to the iPhone), turn off the iPhone, hold down the Home button, connect the cable to the computer.
Steps 5: Open iTunes (if it does not open automatically) and you’ll see an iPhone in recovery mode.
Steps 6: Alt-click (Mac) or Shift (Windows), click restore and select iOS 4.1 (or iOS 3.2.2 for iPad).
Steps 7: Begin the recovery process. As soon as it starts, open TinyUmbrella (which does not recognize your device) immediately and leave it open for the duration of the recovery.
- Shortly before the end, iTunes will return the error 1004. Close the popup and your iPhone will restart in Recovery Mode.
- Your device will again be recognized by TinyUmbrella. Exit iTunes, select your device in TinyUmbrella and click “Exit Recovery”
- Your device will reboot. Now open iTunes and configure your device.
At the end of the guide, if all goes well, you’ll have your iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad iOS successfully recovered to 4.1. It is important to open TinyUmbrella few seconds after the start of the recovery process, but it is not necessary to start the TSS server.
Restore the Hosts file:
1. The first step is to find a file called “hosts” that manages connections to the server.
- Open Notepad with administrator privileges and then right click on the icon of notepad and click on “Open as administrator”
- Now that Notepad is open Go to folder C:/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc and open the file
- Add the following line at the end of the document and save it: 22.214.171.124 gs.apple.com
- Navigate to Go -> Go to Folder and enter the path /etc
- Open the file hosts with TextEdit, add the following string 126.96.36.199 gs.apple.comand save the file to your desktop.
- Now return to the previous folder by following the same method and copy the text within this file by replacing the original file (If prompted for a password enter it and click OK)
Here is the video:
Once your device is at iOS 4.1, you can limera1n to jailbreak it.