iOS hacker Steven (aka iH8sn0w) has released Sn0wbreeze 2.3b1 for jailbreaking iOS 4.3 on all iOS devices except iPad 2. Being a “Tethered” jailbreak, you need to boot your device via iBooty except iPhone 3GS (old bootroms). Those who have saved SHSH Blobs earlier can now play around with it. Just follow the guide below.
As ASLR in iOS 4.3 breaks Mobilesubstrate, your Jailbreak tweaks like winterboard, sbsettings, bitesms, folder enhancer, Five Icon Dock and many more will not going to work.
- Download Sn0wbreeze 2.3b1 on your desktop
- Download iOS 4.3 for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
- Download and install iTunes 10.2.1 for Windows
Sn0wbreeze 2.3b1 Compatible Devices
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS (Both Old and new Bootrom), iPod touch 4G, iPod touch 3G and 1st-gen iPad. Except iPhone 3GS (Old Bootrom) all of them are tethered jailbreak and you have to use iBooty utility to boot your device into tethered mode. Now follow the steps listed below:
Building a Custom Firmware
Step 1: Launch Sn0wbreeze (Windows Vista or Windows7 users must start the application in Administrator mode. To do so, click the right mouse button on the icon and selecting “Run as administrator”) and connect your iPhone or iPod Touch to your PC via USB. You will notice the following screen.
Step 2: Here we have an option to select the firmware. Select “Browse” directly drag-and-drop your iOS firmware file as shown in screenshot below.
Step 3: The application will automatically detect the device which is required to be jailbroken. In this case we have selected iPhone 4 IPSW. Sn0wbreeze check the firmware if it is correct. Once the 4.3 IPSW is verified, click the blue arrow button to continue.
Step 4: Now you will be prompted to select either “Simple Mode”, “Expert Mode” or “Baseband Preservation Mode” . As ultrasn0w is broken on iOS 4.3, we will continue to select “Simple mode” as shown in screenshot below. This will add Cydia, afc2 and other recommended tweaks automatically.
- Baseband Protection Mode: This preserves your iPhone’s baseband without Jailbreaking or unlocking your device. However, other two modes “Simple Mode” or “Expert Mode” save iPhone baseband as well apart from Jailbreaking your device.
- Expert Mode: This provides customizing options, such as installing custom boot logos, root partition size, installer options and unlocks.
Step 5: Now you will be confronted with the following screen: Here:
- If you have an iPhone 4 (factory unlocked) or are on an officially supported carrier like AT&T: DO NOT select “Activate the iPhone”
- If you want to play Pacman or want to see boring spinner. But I like spinner
It will start buildting jailbroken custom firmware for iOS 4.3. During the process, it will Patch iBSS, ramdisk etc. Wait till the entire custom IPSW file creation process is completed. You will get the following screen.
Now, press ‘OK’ button to follow the onscreen instructions to put your device into restorable state.
Step 6: You will then be prompted to connect your device and click start when you are ready. Please turn off your iPhone 4. Put the iPhone in DFU mode. Follow on-screen instructions.
For the DFU mode:
- Turn off the device while connected to your computer
- Click the Home + Power button for 10 seconds then release only the power button while continuing to press the Home button.
Step 7: Open iTunes and will show a warning message where there is informed that you have connected an iPhone in DFU mode, click OK and go forward.
Step 8: Hold down the Shift key on your keyboard, click with the mouse on the Restore button in iTunes.
Step 9: Now select the custom IPSW that was created and click the Choose button. Wait for a while till iTunes installs the new firmware 4.3 on your iPhone 4. After the installation is done, iPhone 4 or any of your iOS device you selected above will restart automatically. You have now successfully jailbroken iOS 4.3.
Booting iOS device in Tethered Mode
As there is no untethered jailbreak for iOS 4.3, we will have to boot it into a tethered mode using iBooty. iBooty is windows based nifty boot tool from iH8sn0w. Just add a file to your iOS device via SSH and then run iBooty whenever you need to boot into the jailbroken kernel. Just follow the steps below as instructed in Video.
Wait for your iOS device to boot. Your jailbroken iPhone, iPad or iPod touch will then be booted in a tethered mode.